The University of Ghana School of Graduate Studies offers Master and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) academic programs to individuals looking to further their education and gain more knowledge in their areas of specialization.
University of Ghana Postgraduate Admissions & Requirements
UNIVERSITY OF GHANA POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES
The following Masters and Ph.D. programmes are available at the University of Ghana
SCHOOL OF LANGUAGES
- Translation – MA
- Arabic – MA/MPhil
- Russian – MA/MPhil
- Spanish – MA/MPhil
- Linguistics – MA/MPhil/Ph.D.
- English – MA/MPhil/Ph.D.
- French – MA/MPhil/Ph.D.
- Conference Interpre – MA
SCHOOL OF ARTS
- Classics – MPhil
- Museum & Heritage Studies – MA/Ph.D.
- Archaeology – MPhil/Ph.D.
- History – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Philosophy – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Study of Religions – MPhil/Ph.D.
SCHOOL OF PERFORMING ARTS
- Theatre Arts – MA/MFA/MPhil/Ph.D.
- Music – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Dance (Choreography/Performance) – MFA
- Dance – MPhil
SCHOOL OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
- Economic Policy Management – MA
- Economics – MPhil
- Development Economics – Ph.D.
- Social Work – MPhil
- Geography & Resource Development – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Psychology – MPhil/Ph.D.
Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Political Science – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Sociology* – MA/MPhil/Ph.D.
- Climate Change &Sustainable Development – MSc/MPhil
INSTITUTE OF STATISTICAL, SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC RESEARCH
- Development Studies* – MA/MPhil/Ph.D.
CENTRE FOR SOCIAL POLICY STUDIES
- Social Policy Studies – MA
- Research and Public Policy – MRPP (a two-year evening programme)
REGIONAL INSTITUTE FOR POPULATION STUDIES
- Population Studies* – MA/MPhil/Ph.D.
LEGON CENTRE FOR INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS AND DIPLOMACY
- International Affairs (Regular) – MA/Ph.D.
- International Affairs (Part-Time) – MA
CENTRE FOR MIGRATION STUDIES
- Migration Studies* – MA/MPhil/Ph.D.
INSTITUTE OF AFRICAN STUDIES
- African Studies* – MA/MPhil/Ph.D.
UNIVERSITY OF GHANA BUSINESS SCHOOL
MA /MSC/MBA/MPHIL/PH.D. PROGRAMMES
- Information Systems – Ph.D.
- Operations Management – MPhil
- Management Information Systems – MBA/MPhil
- Health Services Management – MBA/MPhil
- Human Resource Management – MBA/MPhil
- Public Administration – MPA/MPhil
- Marketing – MBA/MPhil/Ph.D.
- Accounting – MBA/MPhil/Ph.D.
- Finance – MBA/MPhil/Ph.D.
- Public Administration and Policy Management – Ph.D.
- Health Policy and Management – Ph.D.
- Risk Management and Insurance – MPhil
UNIVERSITY OF GHANA BUSINESS SCHOOL SPECIAL WEEKEND/EXECUTIVE MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION PROGRAMMES
- Accounting – MBA
- Finance – MBA /EMBA
- Health Services Administration – MBA
- Human Resource Management – MBA /EMBA
- Management Information Systems – MBA
- Marketing – MBA/EMBA
- Public Administration – MPA
- Project management – EMBA
- Entrepreneurial Management – EMBA
- Accounting and Financial Services Management – EMBA
- Development Finance – MSC
- Management and Administration – MA
- Accounting and Finance (ACCESS) – MSC
SCHOOL OF LAW
MA/LLM PROGRAMME TO BE OFFERED ON PART-TIME BASIS
- Alternative Dispute Resolution – MA
- Human Rights and Administration – MA
COLLEGE OF EDUCATION
SCHOOL OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION STUDIES
- Information Studies* – MA/MPhil/Ph.D.
- Communication Studies* – MA/MPhil/Ph.D.
- SCHOOL OF CONTINUING AND DISTANCE EDUCATION
- MA/MPHIL/PH.D. PROGRAMMES
- Distance Education & E-Learning*(Distance) – MA
- Adult Education* – MA/MPhil
- HIV/AIDS Management (Distance)* – MA/MPhil
- Adult Education & Human Resource Studies – Ph.D.
SCHOOL OF EDUCATION AND LEADERSHIP
- Educational Leadership and Management – MA/MPhil
- Education – MA/MPhil
COLLEGE OF BASIC AND APPLIED SCIENCES
SCHOOL OF PHYSICAL AND MATHEMATICAL SCIENCES
- Petroleum Geoscience – MSc
- Mineral Exploration – MSc
- Engineering Geology – MSc/MPhil
- Geology – MSc/MPhil
- Hydrogeology – MSc/MPhil
- Applied Geophysics – MSc/MPhil
- Applied Geochemistry – MSc/MPhil
- Mathematics – MPhil
- Chemistry – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Physics – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Statistics – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Actuarial Science – MSc/MPhil
- Computer Science – MSc/MPhil/Ph.D.
SCHOOL OF BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
- Fisheries Management – MSc
- Coastal Zone Management – MSc
- Aquaculture – MSc
- Molecular Biology – MPhil
- Biochemistry – MSc/MPhil/Ph.D.
- Molecular Cell Biology of Infectious Diseases – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Zoology – MPhil
- Biodiversity & Conservation Science – Ph.D.
- Applied Parasitology – Ph.D.
- Botany – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Food Science – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Nutrition – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Marine Science – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Fisheries Science – MPhil/Ph.D.
SCHOOL OF NUCLEAR AND ALLIED SCIENCES
- Applied Nuclear Physics – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Computational Nuclear Sciences & Engineering – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Health Physics and Radiation Protection – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Medical Physics – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Nuclear Agriculture – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Nuclear Earth Science – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Nuclear Engineering – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Nuclear & Environmental Protection – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Nuclear and Radiochemistry – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Radiation Processing – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Radiation Protection – MPhil/Ph.D.
- Nuclear Science and Technology – MPhil
The university also offers MSC/MPHIL/PH.D. programmes in the following schools and institutes
- Institutet for Environmental and Sanitation Studies
- School of Agriculture
- School of Engineering Sciences
- School of Biomedical and Allied Health Sciences
- School of Public Health
- School of Public Health Special Week-End Programme
UNIVERSITY OF GHANA POSTGRADUATE REQUIREMENTS
Masters Degree Eligibility Requirements
To get admitted to study any of the MSC/MPHIL/PH.D. programmes available in the university, the applicant must meet the following requirements
A first degree (at least second class lower division) in a relevant field of study at the University of Ghana or any reputable university.
Applicants admitted into the MA/MSc programmes are required to obtain an average of B+ before they can progress to the MPhil programme.
Ph.D. Eligibility Requirements
Applicants who wish to study any of the Ph.D. programmes offered at the university will require a relevant master’s degree. The Ph.D. programmes are limited to applicants whose academic and scholastic records are impressive.
The University of Ghana offers full-time and part-time Ph.D. programmes and the durations are:
- Full Time – Four (4) years
- Part-Time – Six (6) years
SPECIFIC ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Apart from the general entry requirements, each programme has its own specific entry requirements that you must meet before you can be considered for admission. You can check the university website for the entry requirements of the course you wish to study.