Education is a very important aspect of raising a child. The future of a nation is dependent on how strong its education sector is. SHS is an acronym for Senior High School and there are so many of such schools in Ghana. The importance of a child attending a top-notch SHS cannot be overemphasized.
It can be quite difficult to pick out the best Senior High School in Ghana considering the huge number available. There are so many criteria to consider when rating high schools. To save you the stress of searching through the long list of schools in Ghana, we have come up with this article.
You should note that this list is based on the recent WAEC standings.
The Best Senior High Schools in Ghana
It is imperative that you take time to find out about each of these schools before drawing up a conclusion about which school to place your child.
- Wesley Girls High School
- PRESEC Legon (Ghana)
- Augustine’s College, Cape Coast
- Opoku Ware School, Kumasi
- Peter’s Boys Senior High School, Nkwatia
- Accra Academy, Accra
- Prempeh College, Kumasi
- Holy Child School, Cape Coast
- Keta Senior Technical School, Keta
- Mfantsipm School, Cape Coast
In the next few paragraphs, we shall discuss a bit more detail about each of the above schools.
Wesley Girls High School
This SHS was established in 1836 by Mrs. Harriet Wrigley. She was married to the second Methodist Missionary to visit Gold Coast. The school started with just 25 and her aim was to ensure the girls gain basic knowledge in catechism and housekeeping. At the time classes were held in Manse, in a hall close to the Victoria Park. Over the years the school has grown to become one of the most reputable in Ghana. It has produced students with excellent results in WAEC continuing the tradition of excellence.
St. Augustine’s College, Cape Coast
This institution is an all-boys institution located in Cape Coast. It was founded in 1930 with the initial aim of training teachers. It has since been transformed into a Senior Secondary School. The school currently boasts of 1500 boys, between the ages of 12 and 19 years. It also has 60 full-time teachers, 6 part-time teachers, and close to 80 non-teaching staff. The school administration is led by a headmaster and two assistants.
Opoku Ware School, Kumasi
This is another boys-only school on this list. The school currently has an estimated population of about 1300 students. The school also provides accommodation and boarding facilities onsite for students. Students of Opoku Ware School fall between the age range of 14 to 18 years. This school is recognized as one of the most competitive in Ghana, especially with respect to the new upward trend of education. Over the last few years, the school has produced some of the brightest brains in Ghana and has some well-known individuals among its alumni.
St. Peter’s Boys Senior High School, Nkwatia
This school is a Roman Catholic Senior High School dedicated to the education of boys. It is located in the Eastern Region of Ghana, precisely, Nkwatia. It was founded in 1957 by the Divine Word Missionaries and at the time there were just 36 students and 2 tutors. The school has since grown to have a couple of science laboratories, a computer laboratory, administrative block, and classrooms to accommodate its students. The school also has 5 dormitory blocks which play home to 6 houses. The school offers subjects spread across three categories, Arts, Business, and Science. The school has a reputation for producing the highest number of medical doctors in Ghana. Asides this, the school has won numerous competitions including the Ghana Science and Mathematics Quiz.
Accra Academy, Accra
This was one of the first secondary schools in Ghana and it is also the first privately owned secondary school in the country. It operates a boarding facility and a non-denominational structure. Courses run here are spread across Sciences, General Arts, Business, Visual Arts, and General Agric. Initially, the school was designed to provide education to secondary school students who lacked the financial capacity to pay for their education. In 2003, the school ranked number 8 in Africa based on a ranking by Africa Almanac. The criteria for this award included quality of education, the strength of the alumni, student participation, internet and news visibility, and school profile.
Prempeh College, Kumasi
This school is located in Kumasi and it was established in 1949 by Asantehene Sir Osei Agyemang Prempeh II. This school has come a long way to become one of the most recognized in Ghana. In 2004, it had the highest number of matriculating students into the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, 441. The school has also won the National Robotics Competition for a record three times as well as the Toyota Innovation Award in 2016.
Holy Child School, Cape Coast
This school is a second-cycle female institution located in Cape Coast, Ghana. It was ranked among the 10 best schools in Africa in 2003 after it produced the best female student in the SSSCE that year. The school also produced the second best student in the 2017 WASSCE. The school, which was established in 1946, currently has over a thousand students aged between 14 and 18 years. The school is reputed for having so many notable alumni including Akosua Agyapong and Philomena Nyarko.
Keta Senior Technical School, Keta
This is a mixed public school located in Dzelukope town, Keta Municipal District, Ghana. It currently has a student population of 2,800 and about 110 teaching staff. It is the largest in the Volta Region of Ghana and it offers courses in Arts, Agricultural Science, Sciences, Home Economics, Technical Studies, and Business. The school has won several competitions and has a huge reputation among secondary schools in Ghana.
Mfantsipm School, Cape Coast
This is one of the oldest schools in Ghana, established in 1876 as an all-boys school with the aim of fostering moral, intellectual, and spiritual growth among them. At inception, it was known as the Wesleyan High School and its first headmaster, James Picot, was only 18 years old when he was appointed. Several other schools in Ghana were born from this school including Prempeh College and Achimota School. The school has won numerous awards and is notable for having several high-flying alumni.
Read more from directories in Ghana
- 5 Best Fertility Hospitals in Kumasi 2020
- List of Chinese Company in Ghana
- List Of Advertising Agencies In Ghana
- Recruitment Agencies in Ghana
- List of Airlines in Ghana (2020)
- List Of Travel Agencies In Ghana (2020)
- Top Security Companies in Ghana
- Top 10 Roofing Companies in Ghana
- How to Become a Lawyer in Ghana
- Top 10 Investment Companies in Ghana
- List of International Companies in Ghana
- List of Indian Companies in Ghana
- Top 10 Haulage Companies in Ghana
- List of Ethnic Groups in Ghana & Details
- List of Energy Companies in Ghana
- List of Electrical Companies in Ghana
- Top 10 Drilling Companies in Ghana
- List of Prisons in Ghana
- List of Banks in Ghana and Their Interest Rates
- 10 Best Hospitals in Accra 2019
- Top 20 Hotels in Kumasi, Ghana
- 10 Best Hangouts in Accra, Ghana
- List of Companies in Kumasi
- The Best Beaches in Accra, Ghana
- Top ICT Companies in Ghana and their Locations (2019)
- Top Delivery Companies in Ghana (2019)
- Top 10 Shipping Companies in Ghana
- Top 10 Richest Pastors in Ghana in 2019
- Top 10 Mining Companies in Ghana (2019)
- Top 10 Investment Companies in Ghana (2019)
- Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs in Ghana (2019)
- Solar Companies in Ghana
- Recycling Companies in Ghana
- Online Stores in Ghana: Full List & Website Addresses
- Marketing Companies in Ghana
- Multinational Companies in Ghana
- Manufacturing Companies in Ghana
- List of Journalism Schools in Ghana (Accredited)
- List of Fashion Schools in Ghana (Accredited)
- Full list of banks in Ghana and contact details
- Top Engineering Companies in Ghana
- Top 10 Cement Companies in Ghana
- Top 10 Cleaning Companies in Ghana
- Top 100 Senior High Schools In Ghana
- Top 10 Oil Companies in Ghana
- List of Banks in Ghana
- Top 10 Insurance Companies In Ghana
- 10 Best SHS Schools in Ghana (WAEC STANDARD)
- Top 10 Construction Companies in Ghana