There are 10 districts in Accra which make up the 254 districts in Ghana. Accra is the capital of Ghana. It is one of the most populated cities with more than 2 million inhabitants as of 2012.
The districts in Accra are second-level administrative subdivisions. They are made up of 9 municipal districts and the Accra Metropolitan District.
The administration of Districts is overseen by the District Assemblies. A District Assembly is headed by the District Chief Executive and several electoral members from each district.
Districts in Accra: The Full List + Details
District Chief Executive
The District Chief Executive is the administrative head of the District Assembly. This role is appointed by the President of the Republic. The District Chief Executive serves as the representative of the Central Government in the district.
All the administrative functions and the supervision of the departments of the District Assembly fall on the District Chief Executive.
The Executive Committee oversees the District Assembly. They ensure that the executive and coordinating functions of the Assembly are carried out.
Districts in Accra
Accra Metropolitan District
The Accra Metropolitan District is governed by the Accra Metropolitan Assembly. It is one of the 10 districts that make up the Accra Metropolitan Area and the only metropolitan district in Accra. it is also the political powerhouse of the city.
This district is made up of several sub-districts. They are as follows.
Ablekuma Central Sub-Metropolitan District
This district has a population of over 250,000. Some of the communities in the district include Sukura, Soko, Nkrumah Flats, Ayibe Town, Mataheko, and Zamrama Line.
Ablekuma South Sub-Metropolitan District
Some of the communities in this district include Mamprobi, New Mamprobi, and Chokor.
Ashiedu Keteke Sub-Metropolitan District
This district has a population of over 100,000, however, it has very few communities.
Ayawaso Central Sub-Metropolitan District
The population in this district stands at over 150,000 people. Some of the communities in the district include Alajo and New Town
Okaikoi South Sub-Metropolitan District
According to a 2010 population census, over 120,000 people live in this district. Like some of the sub-districts, it is made up of only a few communities.
Osu Klottey Sub-Metropolitan District
Some of the communities in this district include Ringway Estates, West Ridge, Tudu, and Osu.
La Dade Kotopon Municipal District
The La Dade Kotopon Municipal District is one of the 3 districts in the Accra Metropolitan area. As of 2010, there were over 180,000 people occupying the district.
This district was created out of the Accra Metropolitan district in 2010. It consists of 7 large communities which make up most of its population. These communities include:
- Burma Camp
- South La
- East Cantonments
- North Labone
Ledzokuku-Krowor Municipal District
The Ledzokuku-Krowor Municipal District is one of the most populated districts in the Accra Metropolitan area. There are over 200,000 people living in the district as of 2010. Its administrative capital is a Nungua.
The Ledzokuku-Krowor Municipal District is one of the districts carved out of the Accra Metropolitan District in 2007. This district consist of many communities, however, only 20 of these communities make up for the large population in the district. These communities include:
- North Teshie
- South Teshie
- Teshie Nungua Estate
- Teshie Camp
- North Nungua
- Martey Tsuru
- Greda Estates
- Regimanuel Estate (East Airport)
- Tsuibleo (North Teshie)
- Okpoi Gonno
Krowor Municipal District
Krowor Municipal District is one of the 9 municipal districts in Accra. It is also part of the 26 districts in the Greater Accra Region
Okaikwei Municipal District
Okaikwei Municipal District is one of the municipal districts in Accra and the Greater Accra Region.
Ablekuma North Municipal District
Ablekuma North Municipal District is a municipal district in Accra. It also represents one of the constituencies in the parliament of Ghana.
Ablekuma West Municipal District
Ablekuma West Municipal District is one of the newly created districts. It makes up the 275 constituencies represented in the Parliament of Ghana.
Ablekuma West Consistency was created for the general elections. It was among 45 other constituencies created at that time. This district is made up of several other sub-districts like
Ayawaso East Municipal District
Ayawaso East Municipal District is one of the 9 municipal districts in Accra. It also makes up the 275 constituencies represented at the Parliament of Ghana.
The Ayawaso East Municipal District is located within the Accra Metropolitan Area of the Greater Accra Region. Thus, it makes up one of the 26 districts in the region.
Ayawaso North Municipal District
Ayawaso North Municipal District is located within the Accra Metropolitan Area it makes up one of the 9 districts in the area.
Ayawaso West Municipal District
Ayawaso West Municipal District makes up the 9 municipal districts in Accra and the 26 districts in the Greater Accra region.
It is also one of the 275 constituencies presented in the Parliament of Ghana
The 10 districts in Accra make up the 26 districts in the Greater Accra Region. Districts have very important purposes which are why there are District Assemblies that ensure districts function just as it should.
The Local Government Act of 2016 tasks District Assemblies with several duties. These duties also double as the functions of these Assemblies.
Below are some of the functions of a District Assembly
- To execute strategies and programs for the effective use of resources needed for the development of the district.
- To sponsor the education of students from the districts to fill gaps and vacancies in the important sectors in the district.
- To develop basic infrastructure and provide municipal services in the district.
- To improve and manage human settlements in the district, also including the environment in the district.
- To promote and preserve the cultural heritage within the district.
District Assemblies continue to play an important role in promoting law and order and looking out for the welfare of people living within the district.
See more on Lifestyles in Ghana.
- University of Ghana Notable Alumni
- Freemason in Ghana: All You Need to Know
- 10 Best Restaurants in Accra
- Ghanaian Fashion Trends for Men And Women
- Ghanaian Music: The Rise of Afrobeat in Ghana
- Traditional Ghanaian Recipes and Cooking Tips
- Ghanaian Proverbs And Their Meanings
- Best Places to Visit in Ghana For Adventure
- Mattress Prices in Ghana (2022)
- List of traditional dances in Ghana
- Traditional marriage in Ghana: All you need to know
- The Top 10 Natural Hair Products in Ghana
- The Top 10 Hair Growth Products in Ghana
- Holidays in Ghana
- Top 10 Richest Actors In Ghana (2022)
- Dumbbell Prices in Ghana 2022
- Orphanages In Ghana : Full List, Locations & Contacts (2022)
- How to Calculate Electricity Bill in Ghana (2022)
- NGOs In Ghana: Full List, Functions & Contacts (2022)
- Top 5 Richest Women in Ghana (2022)
- Districts in Accra: The Full List + Details
- Sanitation Problems in Ghana & Solutions
- Causes of Teenage Pregnancy in Ghana
- Regions in Ghana & Their Capitals + Other Details
- Dentists’ Salary in Ghana: See What They Earn (2022)
- Causes of Unemployment in Ghana & Solutions