The steps to becoming a fashion designer in Ghana are similar to that of most professional courses. You will have to get educated, learn and possess a set of skills and set yourself apart from the multitude of fashion designers in Ghana trying to make a name for themselves in the industry.
The fashion industry is one of the most competitive fields in Ghana and the world. So to become successful, you will need to be more than an artistic and creative designer. You’ll have to possess the right listening and decision-making skills that will give you an edge over other fashion designers.
How to Become a Fashion Designer in Ghana
We are going to take you through the steps you should take if you want to become a fashion designer in Ghana.
Confirm that Fashion Design is Your Calling
Fashion design isn’t a means of employment, it is more of an art and it requires that you possess extreme artistic and creative skills before you can break into the industry.
This is why you should only opt for fashion design if you have the talent or zeal for it, as you’ll require them to excel in the industry.
Choose a Niche
Fashion design is very broad and there are several areas of specialization that could suit your skills. You could be a footwear designer, menswear designer, womenswear designer, children fashion designer or accessories designer. There are other careers in the fashion industry apart from that of a designer.
- Fashion Writer/Journalist
- Fashion Merchandising
- Patent Making and Product Management
- Fashion Public Relations
- Personal Stylist
- Fashion Stylist
- Fashion Illustrator
- Fashion Consultant
- Garment Technologist
- Fashion Photography
The best way to become a fashion designer is to pursue a professional course in fashion design. However, there are other ways to become a fashion designer. You could join a fashion design company or become an apprentice for a fashion designer. This way you’ll get all the necessary skills and access to the important equipment that aids fashion designers in their art.
Back to studying a professional course. Pursuing a course in fashion design is the best option to consider if you can afford it. This way you can easily meet up with other like-minded fashion designers, professionals and get access to the latest tools in fashion design.
To study fashion design, you must not have to go to college. In fact, many universities don’t give much focus to fashion design so you wouldn’t be learning from the best or using the latest equipment in fashion design if you opt for these colleges.
There are only a few fashion design schools in Ghana that take fashion design really seriously. These schools offer short and long courses with flexible payment and study schedules that should suit the lifestyle of the student.
Below are some of the fashion design courses in Ghana
- Undergraduate Degree – Bachelor of Science in Fashion Design
- Certificate Program – Cert
- Diploma – Professional Diploma in Fashion Design, Diploma in Textile and Fashion Design
- Professional Certificate Courses – like Professional Certificate in Fashion Design and Creation, Professional Certificate in Textile Design, and Professional Certificate in Garment Construction.
Get the Necessary Skills
There are several skills a fashion designer must possess if they want to stand out from the crowd. While being creative and artistic or having the gift is important, the skills below will help you go farther than most in the fashion industry.
- Drawing Skills: To be a successful fashion designer, you must know how to express your art and how to put your ideas on paper. Strong drawing skills help make your ideas clearer and easier to create in reality. Without this skill, it could be difficult for you to become a renowned fashion designer.
- Visualization Skills: This aids your drawing skills and helps you perfect your craft. With strong visualization skills, you can easily invent new ideas and bring these ideas to life.
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills: As a fashion designer, you’ll have to collaborate with colleagues and clients. To do this perfectly, you will have to develop excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Business and Negotiation Skills: Whatever you do it for fun, fame or money, you’ll have to learn business skills to succeed. These skills will help you to further your career and to run a successful fashion business. You can get these skills by taking a Master’s degree in Business and Management.
- Confidence: While this isn’t much of a skill, it is really important. The fashion industry is not a place for the faint of heart. You will have to develop high self-esteem and be confident in your art.
- Ability to Develop New Ideas: The most successful fashion designers in Ghana are the most competitive ones. They are trendsetters, leading the flock and taking the bulk of the gains. If you want to become one of the best, you’ll have to be competitive and develop new ideas that are generally acceptable.
As a fashion designer, you should have as many contacts as possible. Some of these contacts could recommend you in the future while others would employ you for your services. Look out for paid and unpaid internships. Always perform your best in whatever occasion you find yourself.
Also, try out as many fashion competitions as you can. Whether you win or not, you can add them to your portfolio and build your value as a fashion designer.
There are several fashion design schools in Ghana that offer exceptional services. These schools are quite affordable and offer the best teaching services while providing you access to the latest tools in fashion design.
Some of the best fashion design schools in Ghana include
- School of Fashion and Design Ghana
- Riohs Originate
- 2nd Image International
- BlueCrest School of Fashion and Design
- Libelt School of Fashion
- Abbi Creation of Fashion
- Joyce Ababio College of Creative Design
- Afra K Fashion School
See more details on Doing Business in Ghana
- American Embassy in Ghana (2021)
- Ghana President’s Salary: Full Details (2021)
- List of Government Agencies in Ghana (2021)
- How To Renew Your Passport In Ghana (2021)
- DCE Salary in Ghana: See What They Earn (2021)
- Teachers Salary in Ghana: Annual and Monthly Breakdown (2021)
- Current Ministers in Ghana, their Portfolio and Profiles (2020)
- Ghana Independence History: How It All Happened
- How to Apply for UK Visa in Ghana (2020)
- How to Get An International Passport in Ghana (2020)
- Ghana Coat of Arms: Meaning, History, & Other details