The Ghana Navy is one of the three branches of the Ghana Armed Forces, responsible for protecting Ghana’s maritime interests. The Navy’s mission is to “safeguard Ghana’s maritime domain, promote maritime trade and commerce, and contribute to international peace and security.”
The Ghana Navy is currently recruiting new members to join its ranks. If you are interested in a career in maritime security, the Ghana Navy may be the right place for you.
Requirements for Ghana Navy Recruitment?
Be a Ghanaian citizen by birth. * Be of good character. * Be not less than 18 years of age and not more than 25 years for Non-Tradesmen and not more than 27 years for Tradesmen by December 30th. * Be medically fit by Ghana Navy standard. * Must Not be bonded. * Must Not be married (for Regular Officer Candidates only). * Be of minimum minimum height of 1.68m (5'6″) for males and 1.57m (5'2″) for females. For Military Police; the minimum height for male applicants should be 1.75m (5`9“) and 1.70m (5' 7”) for females and Must have the following: * BECE certification with Six (6) Passes at BECE including English and Mathematics. * WASSCE certification with Six (6) Credits (not less than C6) including Core English and Core Mathematics. OR SSSCE certification with Six (6) Credits (not less than D) including Core English and Core Mathematics.
What is the Ghana Navy looking for in recruits?
The Ghana Navy is looking for recruits who are:
- Ghanaian citizens by birth
- Of good character
- Between the ages of 18 and 25 for non-tradesmen.
- Medically fit by Armed Forces standards
- Not bonded
- At least 1.68 meters (5’6″) tall for males and 1.57 meters (5’2″) tall for females
- Have six (6) credits (not less than Grade 6) at BECE including English and Mathematics
In addition to these general eligibility requirements, there are also specific requirements for certain trades or specializations. For example, to be a cook or steward, you must have any of the following:
- Any of the 6 Credits at WASSCE (Business Subjects) including English and Mathematics
- GES Technical Examinations Unit Certificate in Storekeeping/Purchasing & Supply/Certificate in Logistics & Transport
- CIPS level II
- HND Purchasing and Supply
What are the benefits of a career in the Ghana Navy?
A career in the Ghana Navy offers a number of benefits, including:
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- Opportunities for travel and adventure
- The chance to serve your country and make a difference in the world
- The satisfaction of knowing that you are helping to protect Ghana’s maritime interests
How to apply for recruitment
To apply for recruitment to the Ghana Navy, you can visit the Ghana Navy website at https://navyonline.mil.gh/. The website has a complete list of the requirements and a link to the online application form.
The application deadline is typically in June of each year. However, it is always a good idea to check the website for the most up-to-date information.
What to Expect During Basic Training
Basic training for new recruits in the Ghana Navy is conducted at the Ghana Armed Forces Training School in Teshie, Accra. Basic training lasts for 12 weeks, and it covers a variety of topics, including:
- Naval history and traditions
- Military discipline and customs
- Drill and ceremony
- First aid
- Weapons training
- Physical fitness
After completing basic training, new recruits will be assigned to a naval unit where they will continue their training in their chosen field.
If you are interested in a career in maritime security, the Ghana Navy may be the right place for you. The Navy offers a number of benefits, including a competitive salary and benefits package, opportunities for travel and adventure, and the chance to serve your country and make a difference in the world.