In Ghana, there is an abundance of teaching colleges with the right facilities needed to produce a well-trained set of teachers. To get into these colleges you will have to meet the requirements of the college or you wouldn’t be considered for admission.
How to Apply For Teacher Training College in Ghana
There are different teaching colleges in Ghana with different requirements for admission. However, they all have a similar application process. With this guide, you’ll be able to apply for any teacher training college in Ghana.
1. Choose the Teacher Training College
The first step to applying for teacher training college in Ghana is to choose the college you would like to go to. There are more than 40 teacher training colleges in Ghana and many of them offer some of the best teaching services in West Africa.
We have already listed the top 10 teacher training colleges below.
2. Check If You Meet The Admission Requirements
After choosing the college, you’ll need to check if they offer the course you wish to study. If they do, then you need to check if you meet the admission requirements.
The admission requirements of some colleges usually look like this
WASSCE/SSSCE Qualification Applicants
1. WASSCE Holders:
Applicants with WASSCE are required to have PASSES (A1 – D7) in Six (6) subjects. These subjects must include English Language and Core Mathematics. Among these subjects, the applicant must have a minimum of C6 in any three (3) of the six subjects relevant to the programme of choice.
2. SSSCE Holders:
Applicants with SSSCE are required to have PASSES (A – D) in Six (6) subjects. These subjects must include English Language and Core Mathematics. Three of the six subjects must be relevant to the programme of choice
Although these are the general requirements for admission, you might find additional requirements depending on the type of programme you’re going for.
3. Apply For Admission
If you meet the admission requirements, then you can apply for admission. The application process of every teacher training college is also similar. You will be required to pay the registration fee before, during or after the application process depending on the college you are applying for.
The application process of most teachers training colleges in Ghana usually looks like this.
- STEP 1 – You will be required to fill in your information, choose your qualification and upload a passport size photograph to their portal.
- STEP 2 – Once you’ve confirmed that the information you provided is corrected. You can go on to the next page. You will be given a printout of the information you filled and an application number.
- STEP 3 – You’ll have to print out the form and present it with other documents required by the college.
You might come across a different application process for the college you’re applying for.
Top 10 Teacher Training Colleges in Ghana
Presently, there are more than 40 teacher training colleges in Ghana. When searching for one, you should only settle for the best. The best teacher training colleges in Ghana have the right academic facilities and professionals.
Below, we have listed to Top 10 Teacher Training Colleges in Ghana to consider
1. Ada College of Education
Ada College of Education was founded in 1965. It was formerly called Ada Teacher Training College. The college offers various vocational and secondary courses in its six departments. These departments include Vocational Skills, Language, Science, Education Studies, Mathematics & ICT, and Social Sciences.
Ada College of Education represents one of the two teacher training colleges in the Greater Accra Region.
2. Agogo Presbyterian College of Education
Agogo Presbyterian College of Education was established in 1931 with the aim of training female teachers. It was upgraded to a tertiary level institution in 2007.
The college was initially known as Basel Mission Women’s Training College and offered only 4 courses at the time.
A three-year Diploma in Basic Education was introduced in 2004.
3. Abetifi Presbyterian College of Education
Abetifi Presbyterian College of Education was founded in 1952 to train teachers in the best teaching practices.
Since its inception, it has turned out over 5,600 well-teachers of different categories. The college became affiliated to the University of Cape Coast in 2016. This saw it expand its boundaries and services.
Abetifi Presbyterian College of Education has gone through many educational reforms with many changes being made to its teaching practices and programmes. It currently offers a 3-year Diploma in Basic Education.
4. Akatsi College of Education
Akatsi College of Education is one of the largest teacher training colleges in Ghana with a student population of over 700. It is located at Aktasi in the Volta Region of Ghana.
The college was established in 1963 as Akatsi Training College. It initially ran the Certificate “A” (4-year) Post Middle programme. It also ran several other programmes at various stages of her growth.
Currently, it runs a 3-year Diploma in Basic Education.
5. Akrokerri College of Education
Akrokerri College of Education was established in 1962 and upgraded to a tertiary institution in 2007. It is one of the best teacher training colleges in Ghana. It boasts of a serene environment and a large campus which makes teaching and learning more convenient.
Akrokerri College of Education runs different programs including a Diploma in Basic Education. It also runs a four-year and two-year Certificate “A” teacher on a sandwich basis.
6. Atebubu College of Education
Atebubu College of Education was founded in 1965. It was the only teacher training college in the eastern region at the time of its inception.
Atebubu College of Education has offered several programmes throughout her growth. It currently offers similar programmes to other teacher training colleges on our list.
7. Accra College of Education
Accra College of Education is located in the Greater Accra Region. The college was established in 1909. It was initially called Accra Teacher Training College (ATTRACO).
In 2019, it became affiliated to the University of Ghana which expanded its boundaries. It offers courses such as Mathematics, French, and Early Childhood Education Studies.
8. St. Joseph’s College of Education
St. Joseph’s College of Education was established in 1948. It is located in the Ashanti / Brong Ahafo zone. It is the first training college in the region and remains one of the best in that region. It was upgraded to a tertiary level institution in 2007.
9. Enchi College of Education
Enchi College of Education is one of the teacher training colleges affiliated to the University of Ghana. The college is located in Enchi, Western Region, Ghana.
10. Offinso College of Education
Offinso College of Education is a public teacher training college in Ghana. It was established in 1955 as a Teacher Training College for women. The college was upgraded to tertiary level in 2007.
It offers several teaching programmes which are all accredited by the National Accreditation Board (NAB).
Read more on Education in Ghana
- Ghana Telecom University Courses & Fees (2020)
- List of Accredited Nursing Schools in Ghana (2020)
- IPMC Ghana Courses & Fees (2020)
- Accra Technical University Fees for Students
- List of Scholarship Companies in Ghana
- List of Accredited Polytechnics in Ghana
- Ghana Scholarships Secretariat: Functions & Contacts
- Accra Technical University Courses: The Full List
- Nursing Training in Ghana: What’s Involved?
- Lecturers’ Salary in Ghana: See What They Earn (2020)
- List of Universities in Ghana and Their Tuition Fees (2019)
- How to Apply for Teacher Training College in Ghana
- List of Educational Policies in Ghana
- IELTS Ghana: How to Enrol, Pay, and Pass
- ICA Ghana Courses & Fees
- Ghana Technology University College GTUC (Courses)
- University Of Ghana Admission Requirements (Undergraduates)
- List of Aviation/Pilot Schools in Ghana (Accredited)
- Top 100 Senior High Schools In Ghana
- 10 Best SHS Schools in Ghana (WAEC STANDARD)
- List Of International Schools In Ghana
- Private Universities In Ghana (2019)
- List of Vocational Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- Top 10 Technical Schools in Ghana (2019)
- University of Ghana Courses, Requirements & Fees (2019)
- List of Medical Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- List of ICT Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- History Of Education in Ghana (2019)
- University Rankings in Ghana: 2019 Update
- Ranks In The Ghana Education Service (2019)