I bet you have heard the term IELTS for the better part of your life and it never meant anything to you till you found out you needed it to relocate from Ghana. IELTS is an English test that is recommended for citizens English speaking countries who want to migrate to other English speaking countries.
The test can be taken in different countries. My guess is that if you are reading this article then you want to get more knowledge about what you need to do to enroll for your IELTS exams in Ghana. Before we go ahead with discussing how to enroll, pay, and pass the exam in Ghana, let’s discuss the term IELTS itself.
IELTS Ghana: How to Enrol, Pay, and Pass
What is IELTS?
IELTS is an acronym for International English Language Testing System and it is regarded by many as the most popular English language test in the world. This test which was developed to evaluate different aspects of your English language skills were designed by some of the top authorities of the language. The test focuses on speaking, listening, writing, and reading. Basically, the test reveals how you will work or study in a foreign, English-speaking environment.
Why you should take the IELTS test
One of the most popular questions asked by immigrants or prospective immigrants to English speaking countries is, “why must I take an IELTS test?” I am sure you have probably asked that question a couple of times yourself. If you have, then you are not abnormal, you are just one out of many with the same thought.
This is why you should take the test. Over 10,000 organizations spread across 140 countries accept this test as a criterion to evaluate the English speaking skills of prospective employees. These organizations include government parastatals, corporate bodies, and academic institutions. Out of this huge statistic, more than 3,000 of these organizations are based in the United States. Just so you know, the US welcomes the highest visa applications from Africa.
If you are going to migrate to an English speaking country, you will need to prove your English proficiency level. The better your proficiency, the easier it is to live and work in that country. You will need to prove your English language proficiency to a company in a country whose main language is English. If you can then you are assured 70% of getting in. The question to ask yourself is, “what better way can you prove your proficiency than by taking an IELTS test?”
In case you do not plan to travel out of your country but have intentions of working as a freelancer on international jobs you need to take an IELTS test. Here’s why. Most employers do not have the time to test you for your English proficiency and they really need to know how well you can communicate. What they do is they add the results of an IELTS test as part of the job requirements.
Having your results automatically places you on a higher pedestal above other bidders who are yet to take the test. Do you know how many jobs you could get and how much you could make simply by taking an IELTS test?
I am sure that you are already getting ideas in your head about taking an IELTS test. Well if that is the case, I am here to help you out. In the next few paragraphs, we shall be discussing how to enroll for the test and make your payments as well.
How to Enroll for IELTS in Ghana
You probably thought the registration would be a complex process considering how important the test is. Let me shock you a bit, the enrollment process is one of the easiest and most straightforward. All that is required of you is follow the registration instructions to the letter and you will be done in less than no time.
The step by step process is stated below:
- Find out the closest IELTS test center to your location in Ghana. There are 1,100 registered IELTS test centers scattered across 140 countries worldwide. There is a chance you will have one not too far from your location.
- Complete the registration form. You can either fill the registration form online after paying the application fee. You can also choose to download the form, print it out, fill it and submit it to a local IELTS center closest to you. Choosing the second option requires you to attach your identification documents for verification purposes. This ID will also be required on the day of your exam as proof of your legitimacy.
- Ensure that your test date is booked. This is the final step of the enrollment process. It is important to find out if your registration is complete and your test date has been booked. You should get a confirmation message in your email. Usually, the speaking and writing aspects of the tests are fixed for the same dates, else they will be seven days apart. It is imperative that you find out the date for your exams as it will help you prepare better.
IELTS fees in Ghana
The test is usually taken at a fee. For 2020, the cost of taking an IELTS test in Ghana is GHS 1296. There might be a few extra charges because of the tutorial classes you need to attend to prepare you for the test. The registration for the test in Ghana is under the auspices of the British Council in Ghana.
IELTS test dates in Ghana
The test dates are fixed by the British Council on a first come first serve basis. It is recommended that applicants register for the test five weeks before their desired test dates. In some cases, there may be free slots later than the period chosen. You, however, need to keep checking online to be sure of the dates.
That is about all there is to know about enrolling and paying for an IELTS test in Ghana. Good luck with your test.
Read more on Education in Ghana
- 10 Best SHS Schools in Ghana (WAEC STANDARD) (2022)
- IPMC Ghana Courses & Fees (2022)
- List of Colleges of Agric in Ghana
- UCC Student Portal: All You Need To Know
- List of Public Universities in Ghana
- Knust Student Portal: All You Need to Know
- GH Media School: All you need to know
- List of Colleges of Agriculture in Ghana
- Best Category C schools In Ghana
- List of Category B Schools In Eastern Region Ghana
- List of Category B Schools In Ashanti Ghana (full list)
- List of category A schools in the Ashanti region
- Top 100 Senior High Schools In Ghana (2022)
- List of Category C Schools in Ghana
- List of Category A schools in Ghana
- Category B Schools in Ghana – A Complete List
- University of Cape Coast Admission Requirements (2022)
- Sunyani Technical University Fees for Students 2022
- Koforidua University Fees for Students (2022)
- Nursing Training in Ghana: What’s Involved? (2022)
- List of Accredited Nursing Schools in Ghana (2022)
- Private Universities In Ghana (2022)
- University Of Ghana Admission Requirements (Undergraduates)
- Ghana Technology University College GTUC (Courses) (2022)
- Accra Technical University Fees for Students (2022)
- Takoradi Technical University Fees for Students (2022)
- Takoradi Technical University Courses & Requirements (2022)
- Kumasi Technical University Courses & Requirements (2022)
- Koforidua Technical University Courses & Requirements (2022)
- University of Ghana Courses, Requirements & Fees (2022)
- List of Nursing Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- List of Aviation/Pilot Schools in Ghana (Accredited) (2022)
- History Of Education in Ghana (2022)
- List Of International Schools In Ghana (2022)
- Kumasi Technical University School Fees (2022)
- Top ICT Companies in Ghana and their Locations (2022)
- Lecturers’ Salary in Ghana: See What They Earn (2022)
- List of Universities in Ghana and Their Tuition Fees (2022)
- Ranks In The Ghana Education Service (2022)
- List of Medical Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- List of Vocational Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- Ghana Telecom University Courses & Fees (2022)
- Accra Technical University Courses: The Full List (2022)
- Top 10 Technical Schools in Ghana (2022)
- List of ICT Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- ICA Ghana Courses & Fees (2022)
- Ghana Scholarships Secretariat: Functions & Contacts
- University of Cape Coast Courses List
- List of Scholarship Companies in Ghana (2022)
- University of Winneba Sandwich Programme
- University of Ghana School of Nursing Requirements
- List of Accredited Polytechnics in Ghana
- University Rankings in Ghana: 2021 Update
- List of Educational Policies in Ghana
- University of Ghana Medical School Fees & Requirements
- University of Winneba Programmes & Requirements
- Sunyani Technical University Courses & Requirements
- Ho Technical University Courses & Requirements
- University of Education Winneba Distance Learning Admission Requirements
- University of Ghana Distance Education Options
- How to Apply for Teacher Training College in Ghana
- IELTS Ghana: How to Enrol, Pay, and Pass (2022)
- University of Ghana Postgraduate Admissions & Requirements
- University of Ghana Business School Courses