One of the important issues you should consider when thinking about a profession is money. So if you are in Ghana and you want to be a lecturer, it is important you find out about the salary. This means you would be asking the question, how much do lecturers in Ghana earn monthly?
Lecturing is one of the most prestigious jobs in the world. In countries of the western world, so many people look forward to being lecturers. This is because the pay is juicy and there are several other benefits that come along as well.
In Ghana, lecturing is among the top job opportunities no wonder so many people search for how much they earn. We will discuss all of these in this post, but first, a few pieces of information about lecturers in Ghana.
Lecturers’ Salary in Ghana
Who is a lecturer?
Simply put, a lecturer is a teacher that teaches both vocational and academic courses at higher institutions. Their students are usually undergraduate and postgraduate students. The higher institutions include colleges of education and universities.
Wondering why they are called lecturers since they also teach? This is the reason, they give lectures, tutorials, seminars, as well as course demonstrations. The population of students under their tutelage is more than a conventional class.
Responsibilities of a lecturer
There are several responsibilities required of a lecturer. Some of these include:
- Delivery of lectures, practical demonstrations, and seminars.
- Preparation for classes as well as developing class activities.
- Coming up with new teaching methods to suit the students’ needs.
- Assessment of students.
- Setting of exam questions, administering them and marking scripts.
Skills required of a lecturer
Every person that wants to become a lecturer is required to have a certain set of skills. Some of these skills include:
- Proficiency in written and verbal communication.
Becoming a lecturer in Ghana
Before you even think about lecturers’ salaries in Ghana, you should know how to become a lecturer in Ghana. It is actually not a difficult process. Take the following steps to become a lecturer in Ghana.
- Satisfy the requirements. Similar to every other job, there are specific requirements that you need to meet to become a lecturer. Regardless of the institution where you want to work as a lecturer, it is wise to research the requirements.
In Ghana, the minimum requirement to be a lecturer in a university is a Ph.D. However, in some schools, you can lecture with a Master’s degree. This is only under the condition that the degree must be researched for at least a year.
But for most public universities in Ghana such as the University of Ghana, you need Ph.D. Without this, you can only get the position of an assistant lecturer.
- Possess a professional CV. This will help anyone who wants to employ you focus on your achievements. It shows your academic qualifications and any other achievements as well as your past work data.
- Apply for jobs.
- Attend your interview and write your assessments.
Hierarchy of lecturers in Ghana
As you would expect, the salary structure is based on a hierarchy. This is the same for lecturers in Ghana as the academic sector is divided into ranks that form the hierarchy. Each rank has a different salary.
So what are the different ranks or lecturers in Ghana? They are:
- Graduate Assistant
- Assistant Lecturer
- Lecturer II
- Lecturer I
- Senior Lecturer
- Associate Professor/Reader
- Emeritus Professor (Retired)
Lecturers’ Salaries in Ghana
Now that we have taken a look at the ranks, we can comfortably discuss how much they earn per month. Naturally, the difference in salaries is expected to be large so that they are commensurate to the different ranks.
Another thing you are to expect is that there will be an increase in salaries as you go up the ladder. The list above is written in ascending order. This implies that the Graduate Assistant is the lowest rung of the ladder and Emeritus Professor is the highest.
One more thing you should know is that qualifications also matter. So if two lecturers are on the same rank, one may still earn more than the other. It all depends on who has the higher qualification. A Ph.D. holder will earn more than an M.Sc. holder even though both are on the Lecturer I cadre.
Lecturers who work with private institutions get to earn a bit higher than their counterparts in the public sector. Here is a general overview of lecturers’ salaries in Ghana:
- Lecturers on the lower cadre – GHC18,000 to GHC42,000 every year.
- Senior Lecturers – GHC54,000 to GHC60,000 every year.
- Professors earn over GHC96,000 every year.
Now that you know lecturers’ salaries in Ghana, you can decide whether or not you want to become one. If you want to, we have provided you a list of requirements you should meet above. Good luck.
Read more on Education in Ghana
- Best Schools in Ghana for Science
- Best School in Ghana for Engineering
- Teaching Jobs in Ghana: How to Apply
- University of Ghana Postgraduate Admissions & Requirements
- University Rankings in Ghana: 2023 Update
- Ranks In The Ghana Education Service (2023)
- University of Winneba Sandwich Programme
- University of Winneba Programmes & Requirements
- University of Ghana School of Nursing Requirements
- University of Ghana Medical School Fees & Requirements
- University of Ghana Distance Education Options
- University of Ghana Business School Courses
- University of Education Winneba Distance Learning Admission Requirements
- Sunyani Technical University Courses & Requirements
- Kumasi Technical University School Fees (2023)
- Ho Technical University Courses & Requirements
- University of Cape Coast Courses List
- Lecturers’ Salary in Ghana: See What They Earn (2023)
- Top ICT Companies in Ghana and their Locations (2023)
- List of Educational Policies in Ghana
- How to Apply for Teacher Training College in Ghana
- Top 100 Senior High Schools In Ghana (2023)
- List of Medical Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- Technical And Vocational Education in Ghana
- Adult Education Programs in Ghana
- Challenges of education in Ghana
- Best University to Study Law in Ghana
- Best University to Study Nursing in Ghana
- Best University to Study Medical Laboratory Science in Ghana
- Ghana Telecom University Courses & Fees (2022)
- Best University to Study Computer Science in Ghana
- Top 10 Technical Schools in Ghana (2022)
- IPMC Ghana Courses & Fees (2022)
- 10 Best SHS Schools in Ghana (WAEC STANDARD) (2022)
- List of Colleges of Agric in Ghana
- UCC Student Portal: All You Need To Know
- List of Public Universities in Ghana
- Knust Student Portal: All You Need to Know
- GH Media School: All you need to know
- List of Colleges of Agriculture in Ghana
- Best Category C schools In Ghana
- List of Category B Schools In Eastern Region Ghana
- List of Category B Schools In Ashanti Ghana (full list)
- List of category A schools in the Ashanti region
- List of Category C Schools in Ghana
- List of Category A schools in Ghana
- Category B Schools in Ghana – A Complete List
- University of Cape Coast Admission Requirements (2022)
- Sunyani Technical University Fees for Students 2022
- Koforidua University Fees for Students (2022)
- Nursing Training in Ghana: What’s Involved? (2022)
- List of Accredited Nursing Schools in Ghana (2022)
- Private Universities In Ghana (2022)
- University Of Ghana Admission Requirements (Undergraduates)
- Ghana Technology University College GTUC (Courses) (2022)
- Accra Technical University Fees for Students (2022)
- Takoradi Technical University Fees for Students (2022)
- Takoradi Technical University Courses & Requirements (2022)
- Kumasi Technical University Courses & Requirements (2022)
- Koforidua Technical University Courses & Requirements (2022)
- University of Ghana Courses, Requirements & Fees (2022)
- List of Nursing Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- List of Aviation/Pilot Schools in Ghana (Accredited) (2022)
- History Of Education in Ghana (2022)
- List Of International Schools In Ghana (2022)
- List of Universities in Ghana and Their Tuition Fees (2022)
- List of Vocational Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- Accra Technical University Courses: The Full List (2022)
- List of ICT Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- ICA Ghana Courses & Fees (2022)
- Ghana Scholarships Secretariat: Functions & Contacts
- List of Scholarship Companies in Ghana (2022)
- List of Accredited Polytechnics in Ghana
- IELTS Ghana: How to Enrol, Pay, and Pass (2022)