Without a doubt, one of the most prestigious disciplines of all time is medicine. No cajoling, parents have a certain pride when they speak about their children who are doctors or presently studying in medical school. This reason alone makes the study of medicine hot cake in almost every country in the world.
Asides the pride that comes with the study of medicine, a lot of people chase after the discipline because they have a passion for saving lives. My guess is you sought out this article so you can know about the different medical schools in Ghana.
Before we go ahead to the list of accredited medical schools in Ghana, let’s first discuss what a medical school is. According to Wikipedia, a medical school is a tertiary institution or college in a tertiary institution where medicine is studied. The institution awards degrees to physicians and surgeons.
For each of the medical schools on this list to operate and award degrees in Ghana, they must be accredited. The body in charge of accreditation of Medical Schools in Ghana is the National Accreditation Board, Ghana. This body is under the administration of the Ministry of Education in Ghana. For any medical school to be accredited by the board certain criteria must be satisfied.
Medical schools in Ghana
In total, there are seven medical schools in Ghana. Five of these are Public (Government) owned while the other two are privately owned. In the next few paragraphs, we shall be discussing these medical schools briefly.
The University of Ghana Medical School – Accra
The University of Ghana is undoubtedly the largest Public-owned University in Ghana by size. We know this is really not a basis for comparison, but the University also has the largest Medical School in the country. Asides being the largest medical school in the country, it also has the reputation of being the best and most-equipped. The medical school is situated in the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, Ghana. Records have shown that the medical school produces well-qualified personnel that has great repute, working locally and internationally.
The School of Sciences at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology – Kumasi
This medical school is located in one of the largest cities in Ghana, Kumasi. The School of Medicine at the Kwame Nkrumah University was established in 1975. That same year it admitted its first set of students who graduated seven years later, precisely 1982. This medical school has a reputation for producing high-quality graduates who have excelled in different fields of medicine. It is regarded as the second-largest medical school in the whole of Ghana.
School of Medicine, University of Development Studies – Tamale
This institution is also Public-owned and has adopted a different approach to the study of medicine. The college makes use of the community-oriented, student-centered, and problem-based approach to ensure that the students are well-grounded. The college is equipped with some of the latest facilities in the world to make the learning process easier and more productive. The school also trains allied medical students which include radiologists, physiotherapists, and laboratory scientists.
University of Allied Health Sciences – Volta region
This University basically focuses on students willing to study allied medical science courses. These courses include but are not restricted to radiology, laboratory technology, physiotherapy, medical microbiology, etc. It is about the youngest on this list as it was established in 2012 admitting 154 students at the time. The university is well equipped with laboratories and necessary the latest pieces of equipment embedded in an ideal educational environment.
The Medical School at the University of Cape Coast
This medical school prides itself with producing top-notch graduates on a yearly basis. Though it is not as large as most of the other medical schools on this list, it is well equipped with up-to-standard equipment. The school also offers a variety of courses within the confines of the medical field.
Accra College of Medicine – Accra
This medical school is privately owned and so you know it is likely more expensive than the public-owned medical schools. It is also equipped with the most recent medical study equipment needed to develop students into world-class personnel. The college was established with the aim of solving the numerous health problems which have plagued Ghana in the recent past.
Family Health Medical School
This medical school is the last on this list but definitely not the least in any ramification. The school was established by a private entity in 1997 as a diagnostic center. The location is quite strategic as it overlooks the Atlantic Ocean. The aim of this was to ensure that students enjoy the best of serenity while studying. The students produced from this institution are by all standards among the best in the country.
A few extra notes
Just like in every country in the world, each of these medical schools has their basic minimum entry requirements. To find out about the requirements for each school, simply visit their official website to check them out. Another thing to note is that to study medicine and surgery you will undergo training for a period of 6 years. Upon graduation, the students are registered with the Medical and Dental Council of Ghana (MDC). They are registered under the council as House officers, what is commonly referred to as intern, for a mandatory two-year housemanship programme.
After the compulsory housemanship programme, the students are permanently registered under the MDC as Medical Doctors and have the liberty to practice. The doctors are only allowed to carry out their housemanship programmes at accredited medical facilities within the country.
In conclusion, that is all the information you need about the Accredited Medical Schools in Ghana. So if you have a desire to study medicine in Ghana, you can pick any school from the above list and apply today.
Read more on Education in Ghana
- Ghana Telecom University Courses & Fees (2021)
- Top 100 Senior High Schools In Ghana (2021)
- 10 Best SHS Schools in Ghana (WAEC STANDARD) (2021)
- List of Vocational Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- List of Educational Policies in Ghana
- Top 10 Technical Schools in Ghana (2021)
- Sunyani Technical University Courses & Requirements
- Kumasi Technical University School Fees (2021)
- Sunyani Technical University Fees for Students
- IPMC Ghana Courses & Fees (2021)
- University of Cape Coast Admission Requirements (2021)
- University of Winneba Sandwich Programme
- University of Winneba Programmes & Requirements
- University of Ghana School of Nursing Requirements
- University of Ghana Postgraduate Admissions & Requirements
- University of Ghana Medical School Fees & Requirements
- University of Ghana Distance Education Options
- University of Ghana Business School Courses
- University of Education Winneba Distance Learning Admission Requirements
- University of Cape Coast Courses List
- Takoradi Technical University Fees for Students (2020)
- Takoradi Technical University Courses & Requirements (2020)
- Kumasi Technical University Courses & Requirements (2020)
- Koforidua University Fees for Students (2020)
- Koforidua Technical University Courses & Requirements (2020)
- Ho Technical University Courses & Requirements
- List of Nursing Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- ICA Ghana Courses & Fees (2020)
- Lecturers’ Salary in Ghana: See What They Earn (2020)
- IELTS Ghana: How to Enrol, Pay, and Pass (2020)
- Nursing Training in Ghana: What’s Involved? (2020)
- Ghana Technology University College GTUC (Courses) (2020)
- Accra Technical University Fees for Students (2020)
- List Of International Schools In Ghana (2020)
- Ghana Scholarships Secretariat: Functions & Contacts
- List of Scholarship Companies in Ghana (2020)
- History Of Education in Ghana (2020)
- University Rankings in Ghana: 2019 Update
- University Of Ghana Admission Requirements (Undergraduates)
- University of Ghana Courses, Requirements & Fees (2020)
- List of Aviation/Pilot Schools in Ghana (Accredited) (2020)
- How to Apply for Teacher Training College in Ghana
- Top ICT Companies in Ghana and their Locations (2020)
- List of ICT Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- Ranks In The Ghana Education Service (2020)
- Private Universities In Ghana (2020)
- List of Universities in Ghana and Their Tuition Fees (2020)
- List of Medical Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- Accra Technical University Courses: The Full List (2020)
- List of Accredited Polytechnics in Ghana
- List of Accredited Nursing Schools in Ghana (2020)