The Ghana Education Service is one of the most important sectors of the Ghanaian economy just like in every other country. The service is under the administration of the Ghana Ministry of Education. I believe you are reading this article to get more knowledge about the Ghana Education Service. This could be because of your passion for education or just to get information.
In this article, you will gain knowledge about the ranks in the Ghana Education Service ranks. Just like every other body, the Ghana Education Service is well-ordered into ranks. The ranks are based on two criteria, educational qualification and years of service.
Without further ado, let’s go through the ranks in the Ghana Education Service.
Ranks In The Ghana Education Service
The ranks stated below are arranged in descending order:
- Director General
- Deputy Director
- Assistant Director I
- Assistant Director II
- Principal Superintendent
- Senior Superintendent I
- Senior Superintendent II
- Superintendent II
- Superintendent I
From the above list, you will notice that the highest ranking officer in the Ghana Educational Service is the Director-General and the least ranked officer is the Teacher. Without much explanation, you should know that the salary of an individual is based on the rank of that individual. I have explained the different ranks briefly in the next few paragraphs.
This is the highest rank in the service and is based on a recommendation by the Ghana Education Service. Anyone in this position serves for a period of four years and the major responsibility is to ensure the policies of the educational sector are implemented efficiently. The Director-General also acts as the mediator between the Government and the Ghana Education Service to negotiate issues such as pay raise, bonuses, remunerations, etc.
Deputy Director General
The holder of this position serves by providing administrative and technical support to the Director-General as well as supervise officers under his/her jurisdiction. All of this is in a bid to ensure that the objectives of the sector are achieved through the best methods possible.
Assistant Director I
This individual oversees the advancement of laid down policies from conception till actualization. To attain this position an individual must have prior experience as an Assistant Director II for a minimum of three years. he or she must also have excelled in promotion interviews organized by the GES and must be a professional teacher of repute.
Assistant Director II
Basically, this individual is an assistant to the Assistant Director I and to attain this position the individual must have been a Principal Superintendent in the GES for a minimum of three years.
The responsibilities of the individual holding this position include overseeing and managing offices within a particular district. The required qualifications include being a graduate from a higher institution, serving as a Senior Superintendent for at least three years, and passing the interview organized by the GES.
Senior Superintendent I
This office requires that an individual has served as a Senior Superintendent II for a minimum of three years and excelling in the promotion interview organized by the GES.
Senior Superintendent II
To attain this office an individual must have for three consecutive years in the GES or served two consecutive years as a Superintendent I in the GES.
This office requires that an individual must have served for four consecutive years in the GES and must be a licensed member of the Ghana Teachers’ Union.
To be a teacher in the GES one must possess any of a diploma or degree certificate in any discipline. The individual must have also passed an examination set and vetted by the Superintendent I.
Now I believe you are well equipped with information regarding the Ranks in the Ghana Education Service for whatever purpose you require such information.
Read more on Education in Ghana
- Accra Technical University Fees for Students
- List of Scholarship Companies in Ghana
- List of Accredited Polytechnics in Ghana
- Ghana Scholarships Secretariat: Functions & Contacts
- Accra Technical University Courses: The Full List
- Nursing Training in Ghana: What’s Involved?
- IPMC Ghana Courses & Fees (2019)
- Lecturers’ Salary in Ghana: See What They Earn (2020)
- List of Universities in Ghana and Their Tuition Fees (2019)
- How to Apply for Teacher Training College in Ghana
- List of Educational Policies in Ghana
- IELTS Ghana: How to Enrol, Pay, and Pass
- ICA Ghana Courses & Fees
- Ghana Technology University College GTUC (Courses)
- University Of Ghana Admission Requirements (Undergraduates)
- List of Aviation/Pilot Schools in Ghana (Accredited)
- Top 100 Senior High Schools In Ghana
- 10 Best SHS Schools in Ghana (WAEC STANDARD)
- List of Accredited Nursing Schools in Ghana (2019)
- List Of International Schools In Ghana
- Private Universities In Ghana (2019)
- Ghana Telecom University Courses & Fees (2019)
- List of Vocational Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- Top 10 Technical Schools in Ghana (2019)
- University of Ghana Courses, Requirements & Fees (2019)
- List of Medical Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- List of ICT Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- History Of Education in Ghana (2019)
- University Rankings in Ghana: 2019 Update
- Ranks In The Ghana Education Service (2019)