The Ghana Education Service is one of the most important sectors of the Ghanaian economy just like in every other country. The service is under the administration of the Ghana Ministry of Education. I believe you are reading this article to get more knowledge about the Ghana Education Service. This could be because of your passion for education or just to get information.
In this article, you will gain knowledge about the ranks in the Ghana Education Service ranks. Just like every other body, the Ghana Education Service is well-ordered into ranks. The ranks are based on two criteria, educational qualification and years of service.
Without further ado, let’s go through the ranks in the Ghana Education Service.
Ranks In The Ghana Education Service
The ranks stated below are arranged in descending order:
- Director General
- Deputy Director
- Assistant Director I
- Assistant Director II
- Principal Superintendent
- Senior Superintendent I
- Senior Superintendent II
- Superintendent II
- Superintendent I
From the above list, you will notice that the highest ranking officer in the Ghana Educational Service is the Director-General and the least ranked officer is the Teacher. Without much explanation, you should know that the salary of an individual is based on the rank of that individual. I have explained the different ranks briefly in the next few paragraphs.
This is the highest rank in the service and is based on a recommendation by the Ghana Education Service. Anyone in this position serves for a period of four years and the major responsibility is to ensure the policies of the educational sector are implemented efficiently. The Director-General also acts as the mediator between the Government and the Ghana Education Service to negotiate issues such as pay raise, bonuses, remunerations, etc.
Deputy Director General
The holder of this position serves by providing administrative and technical support to the Director-General as well as supervise officers under his/her jurisdiction. All of this is in a bid to ensure that the objectives of the sector are achieved through the best methods possible.
Assistant Director I
This individual oversees the advancement of laid down policies from conception till actualization. To attain this position an individual must have prior experience as an Assistant Director II for a minimum of three years. he or she must also have excelled in promotion interviews organized by the GES and must be a professional teacher of repute.
Assistant Director II
Basically, this individual is an assistant to the Assistant Director I and to attain this position the individual must have been a Principal Superintendent in the GES for a minimum of three years.
The responsibilities of the individual holding this position include overseeing and managing offices within a particular district. The required qualifications include being a graduate from a higher institution, serving as a Senior Superintendent for at least three years, and passing the interview organized by the GES.
Senior Superintendent I
This office requires that an individual has served as a Senior Superintendent II for a minimum of three years and excelling in the promotion interview organized by the GES.
Senior Superintendent II
To attain this office an individual must have for three consecutive years in the GES or served two consecutive years as a Superintendent I in the GES.
This office requires that an individual must have served for four consecutive years in the GES and must be a licensed member of the Ghana Teachers’ Union.
To be a teacher in the GES one must possess any of a diploma or degree certificate in any discipline. The individual must have also passed an examination set and vetted by the Superintendent I.
Now I believe you are well equipped with information regarding the Ranks in the Ghana Education Service for whatever purpose you require such information.
Read more on Education in Ghana
- List of Colleges of Agric in Ghana
- UCC Student Portal: All You Need To Know
- Knust Student Portal: All You Need to Know
- List of Public Universities in Ghana
- GH Media School: All you need to know
- List of Colleges of Agriculture in Ghana
- Best Category C schools In Ghana
- List of Category B Schools In Eastern Region Ghana
- List of Category B Schools In Ashanti Ghana (full list)
- List of category A schools in the Ashanti region
- List of Category C Schools in Ghana
- List of Category A schools in Ghana
- Category B Schools in Ghana – A Complete List
- List of Vocational Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- Ghana Telecom University Courses & Fees (2023)
- List of Aviation/Pilot Schools in Ghana (Accredited) (2023)
- University Of Ghana Admission Requirements (Undergraduates) 
- Private Universities In Ghana (2023)
- University of Cape Coast Admission Requirements (2023)
- Ghana Scholarships Secretariat: Functions & Contacts
- Koforidua Technical University Courses & Requirements (2023)
- Koforidua University Fees for Students (2023)
- Kumasi Technical University Courses & Requirements (2023)
- Sunyani Technical University Fees for Students 2023
- Takoradi Technical University Courses & Requirements (2023)
- Takoradi Technical University Fees for Students (2023)
- Accra Technical University Fees for Students (2023)
- Accra Technical University Courses: The Full List (2023)
- Nursing Training in Ghana: What’s Involved? (2023)
- IPMC Ghana Courses & Fees (2023)
- ICA Ghana Courses & Fees (2023)
- Ghana Technology University College GTUC (Courses) (2023)
- 10 Best SHS Schools in Ghana (WAEC STANDARD) (2023)
- List Of International Schools In Ghana (2023)
- List of Nursing Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- History Of Education in Ghana (2023)
- List of ICT Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- University of Ghana Courses, Requirements & Fees (2023)
- List of Accredited Nursing Schools in Ghana (2023)
- Top 10 Technical Schools in Ghana (2023)
- IELTS Ghana: How to Enrol, Pay, and Pass (2023)
- List of Accredited Polytechnics in Ghana
- List of Scholarship Companies in Ghana (2023)
- List of Universities in Ghana and Their Tuition Fees (2023)
- Best Schools in Ghana for Science
- Best School in Ghana for Engineering
- Teaching Jobs in Ghana: How to Apply
- University of Ghana Postgraduate Admissions & Requirements
- University Rankings in Ghana: 2023 Update
- Ranks In The Ghana Education Service (2023)
- University of Winneba Sandwich Programme
- University of Winneba Programmes & Requirements
- University of Ghana School of Nursing Requirements
- University of Ghana Medical School Fees & Requirements
- University of Ghana Distance Education Options
- University of Ghana Business School Courses
- University of Education Winneba Distance Learning Admission Requirements
- Sunyani Technical University Courses & Requirements
- Kumasi Technical University School Fees (2023)
- Ho Technical University Courses & Requirements
- University of Cape Coast Courses List
- Lecturers’ Salary in Ghana: See What They Earn (2023)
- Top ICT Companies in Ghana and their Locations (2023)
- List of Educational Policies in Ghana
- How to Apply for Teacher Training College in Ghana
- Top 100 Senior High Schools In Ghana (2023)
- List of Medical Schools in Ghana (Accredited) 
- Technical And Vocational Education in Ghana
- Adult Education Programs in Ghana
- Challenges of education in Ghana
- Best University to Study Law in Ghana
- Best University to Study Nursing in Ghana
- Best University to Study Medical Laboratory Science in Ghana
- Best University to Study Computer Science in Ghana