The University of Ghana Medical School is an educational institution that offers professional training to future medical doctors in theory and practical aspects of the medical profession.
The school is part of the University of Ghana and it is considered as one of the best medical schools in Ghana and it caters to many of Ghana’s aspiring doctors including international students.
University of Ghana Medical School Fees & Requirements
In this article, you will find details on the University of Ghana Medical School fees and admission requirements
Brief History of the University of Ghana Medical School
The University of Ghana was established as the Gold Coast University in 1948. It was established to provide higher education and research in Ghana. Since it was founded, the school has produced some notable alumni including Kwabena Frimpong who became the first African to perform a heart transplant.
The university is currently accredited to offer a six-year Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery Degree Programme.
Courses Offered By the University of Ghana Medical School
The University of Ghana Medical School offers two courses through the College of Health Sciences. These courses are;
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
These are undergraduate courses offered to students who wish to study in the school. To get admitted to study any of these courses you will have to meet the strict academic requirements set by the University.
The University of Ghana Medical School postgraduate programme is also offered to individuals who have obtained a Bachelor’s degree in any of the health sciences and wish to further their education and become more skilled in their respective fields.
University of Ghana Medical School Fees
The University of Ghana Medical School fees is one of the most affordable among all the universities in Ghana that are accredited to offer medical courses. But still, the fees might be too high for some students. To that effect, the university has introduced flexible payment options to allow students to make payments easily.
Below are the minimum fee payment options for all students
- Ghanaian students are required to pay at least 60% of the fees to access academic registration
- Ghanaian students are required to pay at least 50% of the payment to obtain residential registration.
- International students must pay at least 50% of the fees to access the academic registration
- International students must pay at least 50% of the fees to access residential registration.
The above payment options are only applicable in the first semester. All students are expected to pay up their balances before the beginning of the second semester.
The fees requirements for undergraduates in the School of Medicine are as follows
- 1st Year: GHc 6,773
- 2nd Year: GHc 8,089
- 3rd Year: GHc 7,929
- 4th Year:
- Clinical Year: GHc 8,242
- 1st Year: GHc 13,946.00
- 2nd Year: GHc 13,218.00
- 3rd Year: GHc 13,218.00
- 4th Year:
- Clinical Year: GHc 11,755.00
Over the years, there have been increases in the fees charged by the University. You can also find the latest fees on the University website. You can also find the fees for graduate and postgraduate programs on the University portal.
University of Ghana Medical School Admission Requirements
The University of Ghana Medical School is open to all students who wish to pursue medicine. But all applicants must meet the minimum admission requirements before they can be admitted to study the course of their choice. Below are the general eligibility criteria for admission into the School of Medicine.
Entry requirements for Ghana WASSCE/SSSCE Applicants
- WASSCE/SSSCE candidates must possess credit passes in Core Mathematics, English, Integrated Science & Social Studies or they have must possess credited passes in Chemistry and any two from Biology, Physics, and Elective Mathematics.
Entry Requirements For American High School
- All international applicants and Ghanaians with a foreign background but out of the Ghanaian educational system must have a minimum final grade of at least 3.0. All admissions will be at level 100.
Entry requirements for Graduate Medical Programme
The University of Ghana Medical School offers a 4-year medical programme for graduates with a science background which leads to the certification of MB ChB.
- Applicants who wish to apply for this program must possess a good (B.Sc) First Degree (at least a Second Class, Lower Division) in the sciences or any science-related courses.
- Applicants must provide evidence that they have completed the National Service
- Applicants will be required to write and pass a 3-hour entrance examination conducted by the School of Medicine.
Entry Requirements for Post Graduate Programmes
Applicants who wish to pursue any of the Ph.D. programmes offered by the university will require a relevant master’s degree. The applicants must also possess good academic and scholastic records before being admitted into a doctoral degree programme.
- Full-Time: Four (4) years
- Part-Time: Six (6) years
How To Apply For the University of Ghana School of Medicine
Ghanaian applicants are required to obtain the E-Vouchers for GHc 200 from any of the following banks;
- Republic Bank
- Agricultural Development Bank
- Ghana Commercial Bank
- Zenith Bank
- Universal Merchant Bank
- Consolidated Bank Ghana (CBG)
- Prudential Bank
- Fidelity Bank
When purchasing the E-voucher at any of the listed banks, the applicant will be required to submit their names, mobile phone numbers, and e-mail address. Applicants without valid email addresses will receive their confirmation pin in a text message that will be sent to their mobile phones.
After purchasing the voucher, applicants will have to fill in the required information and follow the instructions given. The application forms can then be submitted online. The confirmation pin should be stored as it will be required to access the admission status of the applicant.
Applicants who possess a Diploma/HND will be required to scan and upload their Diploma/HND transcripts and certified copies of “O” and “A” level certificates/result slips.
International Students who wish to apply to the University of Ghana School of Medicine will have access, fill and submit their application forms online.
International students are also required to pay to the University a non-refundable fee of US$110.00. Applicants will also have to scan and attach their pay-in-slips and certificates/result slips (in a single PDF or Word document) to their application forms before submission online.
Contact Details of the University of Ghana School of Medicine
The University of Ghana School of Medicine is located at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital in Accra Ghana.
- Address: Slater Avenue in Accra Ghana
- O. Box GP 4236, Accra, Ghana
- Email address: email@example.com
- Fax: +233 302 663062
- Tel: +233 302 666987/ 8